Monday, April 4, 2011

Fun Little Lizard - Husband Guest Post

This post is cross posted at Mike's Jeep Law & Resources Blog. I post it here because Angela really liked these pictures.


One of the fun things about getting out into the desert is that I am always amazed at how much life there is out there. I live in southern Nevada, so I know how little moisture there is out here, but there are a lot of plants out there, and after a relatively wet winter the hills are pretty green right now. The flowers are all in bloom as well, which is something that surprises me as well.

There are also a lot of lizards out there. This is not surprising. Most are very quick, and they run like crazy. This weekend, however, I spotted one that is camouflaged like none other that I'm used to. In fact, had it not been moving when I first spotted it, I likely would never have seen it at all, because once it stopped, it was very well hidden.



Don't worry if you can't see it. I was standing less than 10 feet away when I took the photo above and could barely make him out. I was afraid that when I looked away to put the telephoto lens on the camera that I would lose him altogether. Thankfully I didn't.



The irony of Mr. Horny Toad hiding in the tread pattern of my Jeep's tires, which had only been placed there moments earlier, is not lost on me. Click on the picture above, and you will be amazed at the manner in which this little lizard blends in with his surroundings. It is likely that I've walked past dozens of his cousins and just missed them entirely. As for this little fellow, I tried to move in for a closer shot, but he vacated the premises and I was unable to locate him again.

P.S. Jasper did try to tell me where the lizard went, but he was unable to follow him far.

1 comment:

Mary Kay said...

That is cool! Amazing! I couldn't find him in the first picture until I saw the second!

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I am full time wife and Mom. Jasper is my busy 3 year old who keeps us on our toes. I like to sew and craft and make our house a home. I love to be outside and play with my boys.